Published on April 24th, 2009 | by Jackie Hernandez3
Tutorial: Linen Canister Cozy
Remember this fabulous Forsythia linen swatch I ordered from Cicada Studio? Well,
thanks to Ohdeedoh’s post about de-branding the kitchen counter with pretty canisters, I was inspired to make over my stainless steel canisters. I love stainless steel, but it can seem very clinical. I decided to warm up my canisters with linen cozies. Read on for the complete how-to…
- Set of canisters or jars (stainless steel, glass, ceramic, etc.)
- 13 x 17 inch linen swatch from Cicada Studio
Step By Step:
- Cut swatch into three strips. I cut mine so they were each 17 inches wide. The heights were 2.5 inches, 4 inches, and 5.5 inches. (I had about an inch of linen left at the end.)
- Measure the circumference of your canister. Add 1/2 inch to that measurement and trim your strips to this length. (My canisters are 15.5 inches around, so I cut my strips to 16 inches.)
- On both long edges of each strip fold over and press 1/4 inch.
- Sew close to edge of 1/4 inch seams.
- Fold each strip in half crosswise and sew a 1/4 inch seam along the raw edges.
- Press the back seam open.
- Turn each band right side out and slip them over the appropriate canisters.
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!