Fabrics

Published on February 17th, 2009 | by Becky Striepe

Fab Fabrics: Vintage Kimono Fabric from Shibori

I’m totally smitten with these gorgeous vintage kimono fabrics from Shibori! She stocks all sorts of weights, from delicate silk to cotton and wool.

Owner Juliet and her husband Richard are ordained Zen Buddhist priests. She says she’s struck by, “the sense of history and culture when you handle Japanese kimono silk.” I have to say, I can totally see where she’s coming from. On top of being absolutely beautiful, the patterns on her kimono fabrics make you think of a different place and time. Since they’re all vintage, that means they’re eco-friendly to boot!

The Shibori shop stocks a wide variety of vintage kimono fabric, and the prices are really reasonable. Juliet gave me a little history of the kimono. The way the Japanese treated the fabric as well as the garment itself is a great lesson in green crafting! They respected the materials and didn’t decide something was useles just because it needed a bit of mending. Juliet shares that:

Kimono were treated with respect and well cared for. Some are handed down and kept in the family. It was not uncommon that daily worn kimono would be discreetly patched underneath until they were no longer presentable, then the garment would be taken apart and used to make smaller garments for others, and then when those were no longer presentable, those garments might be taken apart to make a small wrap or bag (furoshiki) or useful as a towel…nothing was wasted.

What a wonderful legacy to work into your own sewing project!

[Image credit: Photos via Shirobi, used with permission]

Tags: , , , , , ,

My name is Becky Striepe (rhymes with “sleepy”), and I am a crafts and food writer from Atlanta, Georgia with a passion for making our planet a healthier, happier, and more compassionate place to live. My mission is to make vegan food and crafts accessible to everyone!. If you like my work, you can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, and .

12 Responses to Fab Fabrics: Vintage Kimono Fabric from Shibori

1. Kelly Rand says:

Great word “smitten” and cute fabrics! Awesome find Becky.

2. Beth says:

Beautiful silks! I, too, am smitten with vintage kimono silks. I love Juliet’s view of the history of the kimono as well as the fabric. You hold a piece of history in your hand every time you pick up one of these silks. And Juliet’s are some of the best!!!

3. Beth says:

4. Beth says:

5. Beth says:

6. Pingback: Fab Fabrics: Vintage Saris : Crafting a Green World

7. Eva Taylor says:

I have some very old vitage kimono silks 3 different colors, Got durung the 2st world war YARDS OF IT,Trying to find out what its worth .a Grandfather got it while in the Service I got it at a yard sale .Has been in trunk all these years,I Don’t have a scanner to take Pic, my sister ,does any info would be appreciated

8. Eva Taylor says:

9. Eva Taylor says:

10. Eleanor Cullivan says:

I have discovered Juliet’s silks and absolutely LOVE them. They are so fine to the touch, and feel so luxurious. I have so many that I can’t decide which ones to use in my quilts.

11. Eleanor Cullivan says: