Published on June 26th, 2008 | by Kelly Rand0
Yearn Worthy Yarn: Frog Tree
Mmmmm. Alpaca. Can anyone get enough of super soft and sweet alpaca yarn? It feels like a dream to knit up and your finished product is warm and cuddly.
Frog Tree, another one of those great companies like Be Sweet and Conserve, supplies wonderful hand spun alpaca yarns. Their mission is “to supply meaningful and continuous work to various artisans and non-profit groups.”
Their alpaca yarn is made by a non-profit cooperative based in Bolivia, who also trains women to make hand knit items made from the yarn. Their yarn has become so popular that they needed to expand their cooperative to Peru.
Tree Frog has also pledged to be fair trade and:
- Pay a fair price, a living wage, for the local community
- Provide equal employment opportunities for all people
- Engage in environmentally sustainable practices
- Build long-term trade relationships with the producers and co-ops
- Don’t allow forced labor or exploitative child labor and
- Offer financial and technical assistance to producers whenever possible
Along with their highly sought after alpaca yarn, they also carry merino wool, pima cotton, a cotton/silk blend and brushed suri. The yarns come in many wonderful colors, suited to the fiber as well as various weight; including fingering and worsted. Frog Tree yarn might not be available everywhere and they suggest that you contact them to find out where your closest yarn store that carries their product is located.
Image credit: Frog Tree
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!