Published on April 28th, 2008 | by Kelly Rand0
Maker Faire does Green Living
For those of you on the West coast, this weekend is an amazing 2 day event packed full to the brim with DIY goodness. Put on by Make Magazine and Craft Magazine, Maker Faire celebrates things people create themselves—from electronic gizmos, to “slow made” foods and homemade clothes. The event is a non-stop “wow-fest” where surprises and inspiration are as ubiquitous as the festival air.
The 2008 Bay Area Maker Faire will put a special emphasis on “Green” living. There will be a huge exhibit featuring Farm Aid’s Homegrown Village, a local farmer’s market, Swap-O-Rama-Rama’s giant used clothing swap, DIY workshops and fashion show, Bazaar Bizarre’s crafts fair, a live Prius plug-in car conversion from Bay Area’s Calcars.org, and much, much more.
The Swap-O-Rama-Rama is a huge clothing swap and series of do-it-yourself workshops. Bring a bag of your unwanted clothes to swap with other participants and then learn to make modifications or totally transform your new finds. Recycling reused clothing has never been more fun.
The Bazaar Bizarre will showcase over 70 indie crafters and DIYers. Shoppers will find the crème de la crème of handmade goods: handbags, knitting supplies, pottery, stationary, journals, silk-screened t-shirts, baby clothes and more. Bazaar Bizarre at Maker Faire will offer attendees an opportunity to purchase distinctive handmade gifts, attend DIY workshops and participate in a community of creativity!
- Things I Learned from Knitting. The Yarn Harlot.
- Cooking with the Sun with Gladwyn d’Souza
- Sew Subversive and Subversive Seamster with Hope Meng, Melissa Alvarado, Melissa Rannels
- Authentic Innovation with Mister Jalopy
- Crafty Chica: Squeezing a Dollar from a Dime: How to Make the Most of What You Have with Kathy Cano-Murillo
- How to Make Your Own Shoes…the Easy Way! with Thomas Maiorana
- Finger Puppets Who Wish To Not Die with Stacey Gordon
- The DIY Bride: Quick & Easy Wedding Projects for Any Budget with Khris Cochran
- Guerilla Pattern Drafting with Autumn Wiggins and Leslie Beard
Maker Faire is this Saturday, May 3 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday, May 4 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. located at the San Mateo County Event Center and Fairgrounds. Admission is $25/$20 in advance for Adults; $15/$10 in advance for students; $10/$5 in advance for youth and children under 4 are free.
[Image from Bazaar Bizarre]
Keep up with the latest in the world of green crafts by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!